Originally Posted by kevs
"As I said previously the diagnostic software is not on your computer and when you boot to the diagnostic you must select your WiFi network and enter the password so it can be downloaded.

I dont get that.. still... I'm on corded ethernet, you saying go to wifi and try again? or maybe if don't bother..?

To be truthful, I haven't used the Apple diagnostic test literally in decades, and I don't have an Intel Mac to test on, and as you will discover it works differently on Apple Silicon, so I can't really help you there. The purpose of running it was so the results could be used as a marketing ploy, not as a diagnostic tool. So, I would say in the present circumstances, it probably isn't worth the effort to figure out why it is not working.

Originally Posted by keys
This implies article implies you should just see progress bar outta gate.. maybe something bad with the old 27"..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

That is what I would have suspected as well, but confused

Originally Posted by keys
Ah.. update, if you can believe it.. preparing to get Mini, and before one last spot check drive X for 27" . now issue Gone!... So.. maybe self resolved.... back in action.. ? ok..

https://imgur.com/a/82rnIxq

Some S.M.A.R.T. attributes such as re-allocated sector count or over limit shock events are cumulative, while others are transitory. The fact you are currently not showing a high CRC error count indicates it is a transitory condition and is not currently occurring. Hardware problems like this never self-resolve and are a case of what you don't know CAN hurt you. Without DriveDX it is likely you have never known about it until McGillicuddy's corollary to Murphy's law -- if anything can go wrong, it will, at the worst possible time -- kicked in.

FWIW, you are going to feel as if you had been shot out of a canon the first time you fire up your new M1 Mac mini.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein