Originally Posted by keys
I'm getting now on even sparse, "virtual" drives, and quit Word, still wont eject unless do force ,or wait it out.. For sparse same question if do force eject too much could corrupt the sparse drive?

When an app opens a file for read/write access, a "flag" is set in the OS indicting a file is open. Normally that flag is removed when you take any action in the application to close the file, including saving the file or quitting the application (⌘S, ⇧⌘W, ⇧⌘S, ⌘Q, etc.). The principal risk arises when the file directory is being updated. A disconnect in that brief instant of time can leave the volume directory in an undetermined state and therefore damaged and increasing the possibility of a "cross-linked" file. Twenty years ago, cross-linked files were relatively common, but changes in hardware and software over the past two decades have made cross-linked files almost unheard of. I don't remember the last time I heard of one occurring but, the possibility, and the warning from the system, still exists.

In summary: force disconnects are undesirable, but the risk is minimal. The risk is the same each time a force disconnects occurs. However, force disconnects should not be necessary and consistent force connects is unacceptable.

Refresh my memory:
  1. Is this only happening in any application other than Word?
  2. are you running the latest version of Word for Mac available? If not, why not?
  3. have you reinstalled Word? If not, why not?
  4. other than familiarity, is there any reason you cannot use a different work processor?

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney