Originally Posted by ryck
On a recent visit my seven year old grandson asked if he could 'make a DVD' and I had to tell him I didn't have software for what he wanted to do but that I'd have a look around. His idea of 'making a DVD' would be to take some of the many videos we have taken with the iPhone and put them on a DVD. I'm guessing he'd be really buzzed if he could create some titles and do some simple edits. Two questions:

1. What software would you recommend to accomplish the above in a reasonably simple manner by a child who will want to be hands-on?

2. Is there any software available that I could use to make portrait-shot videos adapted to 16:9 without everyone looking fat and wide?

All ideas will be appreciated.

iMovie, either on the iPhone or a Mac should do what your grandson wants to do. And best of all, it's free and you probably already have it. There might be more user friendly apps, but not for free (?).

Burning to a DVD is actually the harder part of your queries. Do you have a CD/DVD drive for your Mac and do you also have software to burn? I would have to check, but I think iMovie's export options do not include burning to a disk. It seems everyone is putting their videos on some Internet platform.

iMovie might also accomplish what you want in your #2, I just don't know.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.