Originally Posted by kevs
Just got 8 TB externals, I partition for emergencies backups for OS. So on on one external, and backup up again bank... I do now both Super Duper and CCC, why not have space.

I just caught this. since you are running Catalina or later. DO NOT PARTITION a drive. Format it APFS and create additional Volumes on it. Unlike partitions, volumes can grow or shrink as needed and volumes can be added or deleted non-destructively at will. Each Volume has the potential to occupy the entire remaining space on the drive if it needs it. Volumes are far more flexible and easier to manage than partitions.

To create a Volume launch Disk Utility. Select the drive in the sidebar, and on the toolbar at the top of the Disk Utility Window, click on the plus sign above the word Volume and when prompted specify a name for the volume. That is all there is to it. To delete a volume select it in the sidebar and click the minus sign above the word volume.

Volumes appear on the desktop just as any other drive, partition, or disk image file.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein