Originally Posted by artie505
I just took a look at Disk Map Analyzer - available only from the App Store and currently on sale for $5.99 - but it doesn't appear to offer a trial period. Have I missed something?

The last time I looked DMA was not available from the app store and was only available from the publisher Pocket Bits. However when I went to their website today and clicked on download it took me to the DMA entry on the App Store. Apparently, Pocket Bits is changing its marketing strategy.

Originally Posted by artie505
Also, since I'm already running GrandPerspective and DaisyDisk, does DMA's "cleaning" functionality offer anything additional that I really need?

Other than a different display of the data, probably not. -- but that is a matter of personal preference and your mileage obviously varies. I did not choose Disk Map Analyzer over Daisy Disk because of superior functionality or the data display type (both display their information virtually the same way), but because I preferred the Looke & Feel of the GUI. The Disk Cleaner function replicates a functionally identical tool in Daisy disk as well. I can't comment on Grand Perspective other than to say I am mildly dyslectic and its data display drove me to distraction so I never really tested its functionality.

NOTE: the Disk Clean function in all of these utilities is NOT an [i]App Cleaner/Remover[/b] but Pocket Bits does have an App Remover utility. As far as I can tell, it is no better or any worse than any of the other myriad of such tools on the app store. I have yet to find one capable of identifying the UUID (Universally Unique IDentifier) file names used in some apps.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein