Quote:
Ryck said: "It is a positive thing that this advisor wants as complete a picture as possible. It is the only way that he can develop a comprehensive plan."

Bensheim said: "I don't agree about the 'complete picture' . . . "

I sympathize with your frustration with the bureaucracy of forms, and while it seems as if the financial planner in question should already have much of this information, the concept of a "complete picture" being essential to getting the best financial advice that Ryck (and joemikeb) raised seems sound to me. One doesn't go into a doctor's office with a stomach ache and refuse to allow the gall bladder, liver, pancreas, etc., to be topics of conversation.

What's been left out of this discussion are the details of the particular questions your OH took to the financial planner. Perhaps the nature of their discussion raised issues outside the scope of the pension plan that needed some additional information to address properly?

As with doctors, you are free to either cooperate or not with your financial advisor as you see fit, though they might not want to keep you as a client. I'll be interested to hear the response you get to your letter.

MacBook Pro, 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD, OSX 10.6.8