OK, I'll bite. laugh
Originally Posted By: grelber
... an article vintage ca 1970 which relates the asymmetry of testicular hang to handedness [...] This has to do with greater muscular tone on the side with dominance (and, as such, the explanation conflicts with the opinion expressed in this article).

Interesting that you see a conflict between the two explanations where I see them more as complementing each other. If handedness predisposes toward a particular resting inclination, why would that interfere/conflict with a control system that may also require asymmetry for optimal cooling while remaining actively adjustable by cremaster activity?

It may help to recall that many systems (both biological as mechanical) are subject to a variety of influences that all have to be dealt with in order to optimize performance. In other words, rather than singular solutions many implementations of a critical functional requirement often are 'compromises' of that main as well as of other requirements. It's not necessarily one or the other, but 'bofum' (as some friends of mine might say in certain situations).

Then again, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that... wink

Btw, not being hindered by extensive reading on the topic (although I perused both articles you referred to, see below), Gallup's 'activation' theory strikes me as a warmed up rehash of old data. shocked

- Chang et al. (1960) paper
- Gallup et al. (2009) paper (pdf)

alternaut moderator