Originally Posted by plantsower
They can't patch a failed/defective camera. But it passes the hardware test!

It'll take a class action suit to get them to move, but it doesn't sound like the problem is widespread enough to attract a lawyer's attention.
There are plenty of people affected. AppleCare personnel have been involved, and it's been taken higher up. They have replaced some screens (that fixed it), and I think something else in some cases, but it looks like they are not going to address it. I found out it affects different years and version of Macs. I think it's big enough that they should take responsibility. They won't.

A couple of people said vacuuming the nooks and crannies of the hinge worked. That's hard to believe. [/quote]
There is always the possibility of coincidental repair. There was a period when Apple was having problems with the cable connecting the monitor to the macBook logicboard. Because some users had apparent success vacuuming out the hinge, which in some cases would joggle the connection back into alignment, that became touted was a sure-fire fix although it had nothing to do with the actual issue. The real fix required a new hinge and connector cable assembly. Fixing the problem is not the answer — it is fixing the right problem.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein