Originally Posted by plantsower
They can't patch a failed/defective camera. But it passes the hardware test!
Whatever that means in "English," i.e. maybe the issue slipped between the cracks in the hardware test but would be obvious to the tools available at the Apple Store.

Originally Posted by plantsower
It'll take a class action suit to get them to move, but it doesn't sound like the problem is widespread enough to attract a lawyer's attention. There are plenty of people affected. AppleCare personnel have been involved, and it's been taken higher up. They have replaced some screens (that fixed it), and I think something else in some cases, but it looks like they are not going to address it. I found out it affects different years and version of Macs. I think it's big enough that they should take responsibility. They won't.
They can only address a clearly defined problem, and from what you've said, none has been brought to the table. Is the number of people who've reported needing to have their screens replaced significant?

Consider your own example: You don't want to travel to an Apple Store where they may be able to diagnose your problem, and you don't even want to go the troubleshooting distance in the form of a reinstallation or upgrade, so why should Apple even address your problem, let alone give you a new screen (an entire screen assembly [which I believe is the most expensive component in a MBP] because the camera isn't a separate, replaceable component), when they've got no idea what it actually is?

If "n" Macs brought to the Genius Bar were diagnosed with the same issue, Apple would be vulnerable, but until that happens...

The fact of the matter is that we know Apple won't address an issue that hasn't been conclusively determined to NOT have been caused by 3rd party software, and we further know that even when they've got their back to the wall they'll fight like cornered rats to avoid accepting responsibility. They've got to be compelled to face reality by customer uproar, and that won't happen until the Genius Bars - not the troubleshooting websites - have been overwhelmed with complaints.

This seems like the sort of thing that might benefit from a dedicated Facebook page.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire