Originally Posted By: pmolloy
Can anyone help with this problem? Address book is gone and this is the error message:
You can't open the application "Address Book.2009.app"

"Address Book.2009.app"? -- Whence came "2009"? [did you rename the program at some point?]

because it is not supported on this architecture.

Is this a 'hackintosh' question... or do you own a real Mac? [which one?]

Or... have you run some kind of utility that increases disk space by removing "unnecessary" architectures from binary files?

When I started to backup Address Book to LaCie drive, I got a message that I did not have sufficient privileges to copy it to the drive. So, I created a folder - dragged the address book into the folder and dragged that onto the drive. Went well - I can see it in the folder - dragged it to the dock, but won't show up in applications. I tried renaming the address book, but cannot.

I'm confused. Apple wants Address Book to be in the /Applications folder of the boot volume. If that item isn't there (or not working), then that itself is the problem. Making copies to different locations with different names is non-standard practice... and will likely lead to non-standard behavior.

Permission problems in the /Applications folder come under the purview of DURP (Disk Utility Repair Permissions). EDIT: and... permission problems on external disks depend on how such permissions are set by the user. I.e., the message you saw is one usually meant to inform us about a lack of write permission on the target (nothing to do with read permission on the source). Unless you can recall the wording of that message more specifically?

As far as missing architectures go, i think we need more information in this case.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/24/09 05:38 AM.