You know me, I don't pay for utilities, so it's just my impression because everything takes so long to load.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
Ran the diagnostics and it also came up with no issues. Darn. My late 2009 iMac (3.06 Ghz, 4 gig memory, 256 mb graphics) is faster than my MacBook (mid-20212, 2.5 gHz, 4 gb memory, 499 mb storage.) Not sure if I gave enough stats but you would think the MacBook would be faster as hardly any of the storage is used at all.

Both your iMac and MacBook are using 5400 rpm HDs and the free space will have little or no effect on system speed so that is not a consideration when determining which would be faster. Both have the same bare minimum of memory so that too is a wash in the speed department. That leaves the processor as primary determining factor. Pure GHz of processor speed is not the full story particularly in light of the fact that the i5 processor in your MacBook may be rated at 2.5GHz it will accelerate up to 3.1GHz under full load and the i5 chip will process more data than a core2 Duo running at the same clock speed. So, all else being equal — and it probably isn't — I would expect your MacBook to be faster than the iMac.

My question would be how are you determining "speed"? By personal impression or by a test utility such as GeekBench 5?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8