Originally Posted by plantsower
OK, I'll redo it and take a pic. There is no progress bar though, that's why I don't think anything was happening. I'm gonna wait until I start cooking dinner so I won't have to use my iMac which is in my office without a comfortable chair!

A funny thing happened when it was doing it's thing though. It did a test and then said there is either something wrong with your power adapter or it's not plugged in. Plug it in and we will check it. I did that. But I was told to disconnect everything, including the AC adapter (their words) before I ran the test. So, that made no sense. Anyway I finished following the commands but it really, really doesn't look like anything is happening. I'll try again.

Since the diagnostic test suggested plugging in the power supply, then I would do it. Apple Diagnostics can take HOURS to complete depending on you particular Mac. The Genius Desk deep diagnostics used at the Apple Store can take even longer. Consider starting Apple diagnostics running at bedtime and they should complete long before breakfast (you definitely want the power supply plugged in in this case.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein