Followed the directions to run diagnostics. Finally clicked "get started." Now all I have is a blank page with a very long url that starts with file:'/System/Installation/CDIS/MacOS%20utilities.app/contents/Resources anf on and on it goes. Is something happening and I just can't see it? How long does it take? Good thing I have my iMac to post here for now.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
Wow, Artie, now that is a nuclear action. I really don't want to do that. It's not that important. It's aggravating that I can't use my camera, so that's why I went on a hunt for a solution, but it's not so important that I want to do that. Thanks for all your help and research. I really do appreciate it.

Note that Artie and I each came to the same Nuke & Pave conclusion from different approaches. I would add to our joint recommendations that if the problem is software based, it is more likely to get worse than to stay the same and there is no chance it will get better unless it is fixed.

Before you call Apple, you can run Apple diagnostics (nee. Apple Hardware Test) following these instructions. The Genius desk at the Apple store has more rigorous tests available, but you have to take your Mac to the store to have those run.

That said, at this point, I would still recommend — make that urge — a Nuke & Pave rather than risk running afoul of McGillicuddy's corollary to Murphy's law.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8