Originally Posted by ryck
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Apparently the Captcha used by the site you were attempting to log onto was blocked when it attempted to set a tracking cookie on your computer.
That would be every site that uses reCaptcha, not just this one.
I am working on that one as I have not encountered any problem with reCaptcha on any of my Macs, iPads, or iPhones (other than the aforementioned equivocal images) and I run with Prevent Cross-Site Tracking on at all times and seldom use any other browser other than Safari. Which leaves the question of what is different between your Mac and mine. FWIW the only Safari extensions I use are 1Password, AdBlock Pro, Clip to DEVONthink, Instameet, and WIPR and I haven't customized the settings of any of those. Of the five only AdBlock Pro and WIPR effect the network. I am using a beta version of MacOS, but I have run the same version you have and did not have any reCaptcha issues. I do have Private Relay activated, but that should effect all browsers equally. In the immortal words of Yul Bryner as the King of Siam, "It is a puzzlement". You might try turning off your extensions, ONE AT A TIME (or in the case of multi=part extensions such as Wipr ONE PART AT A TIME to see which, if any, is effecting reCaptcha behavior.

I am a "Cookie" user and have it set to remove unwanted cookies every 5 minutes and at browser quit. So, as the light slowly turns on, I assume that Opera removed the cookies on quit but Safari got blamed. blush
As cookies are used by so many web sites and especially e-commerce shopping carts removing unwanted cookies every 5 minutes may be a bit extreme and could easily impact your browsing experience (particularly if a given site embedded a tracker in the shopping cart cookie). You might consider just deleting cookies when you quit the browser and rely on Safari's built-in content blockers and Ghostery to prevent cookies phoning home.

A peek in the Extensions window shows one extension in the big box on the right side - Ghostery Lite V 1.2.0 - and eight in the upright box on the left - 4 Ghostery Lite (all checked off and all V1.2.0), and 4 Wipr (all checked off but different versions V1.31, V 1 1.31, V 2 1.31, and V 3 1.31)

Wipr Preferences cannot be reviewed in Finder, that function is greyed out.
The left hand column lists the extensions you have installed and the checkbox in that column indicates you have set it to active. The box on the right shows additional information about the extension you have selected in the left hand column. Some extensions such as WIPR are installed as single entities but the installation includes multiple parts, each with a specific function which can be tuned on or off independently of the other parts. In the case of WIPR there are four parts WIPR Extra, WIPR Part 1, Wipr Part 2, and Wipr Part 3 and they are all have the same version 1.31. By-the-way as far as I can tell the only option with Wipr is On or Off so there are no preference settings. Choosing which part(s) to run on or off is equivalent to what you would find in a Preferences or Settings menu.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/31/21 06:11 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein