Thanks, Joe. I had read that somewhere else, but it didn't seem to work. Plus, once I actually picked "gentle" just to get on with it, it looked like nothing happened except for the "gentle" becoming bolder in print. I didn't even hear the send sound that I usually hear. A few minutes later, the recipient let me know she got the video. I have sent pics and videos before and this never happened so I was at a loss.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Because of the limitations imposed by the iPhone form factor, iOS differentiates between a tap, and a long hold. A brief tap on the send arrow will send the message on its way without special effects, holding your finger on the arrow for half a second or more brings up the "send with effect" menu. There are numerous places in iOS where different actions are triggered by a tap, long hold, or even a firm press. In most cases a tap is the basic gesture and a long hold triggers special features. This cannot be turned off as it would deny access to many iOS/iPhone features. Just remember to tap and not hold.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8