In researching for another thread, I stumbled across several Apple-ID related features in Monterey (macOS 12.2), iPadOS 15.2, and iOS 15.2 some of which were new in the initial releases of macOS 12 and IPad/iOS 15 others that are as far as I know completely unheralded and brand new to the latest beta releases, but coming to a general update in the very near future. I thought I would pass them along to others who might have been unaware of these potentially significant new features.
  • Account Recovery: process designed to get you back into your Apple ID account when you don’t have enough information to reset your password*¹.
  • Recovery Key: a randomly generated 28-character code that you can use to help reset your password or regain access to your Apple ID*¹.
  • Legacy Contacts: Legacy contacts will be able to access the data stored in your account after your death. The data in your account may include photos, messages, notes, files, contacts, calendar events, apps you have purchased, device backups, and more. Your legacy contacts won’t be able to access your Keychain or any licensed media.*²
  • Hide My EmaiL: is a service that lets you keep your personal email address private whether you're creating a new account with an app, signing up for a newsletter online, or sending an email to someone you don't know well.
  • Sign In with Apple: When you see a Sign in with Apple button on a participating app or website, it means you can set up an account using your Apple ID. No need to use a social media account, fill out forms, or choose another new password.
  • App Specific Passwords: App-specific passwords are passwords for your Apple ID that let you sign in to your account and securely access the information you store in iCloud from a third-party app

1. Account Recovery and Recovery Key are mutually exclusive
  2. Death Certificate Required

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein