Originally Posted by joemikeb
I have a personal prejudice against downloading anything from a software aggregator such as MacUpdate. I know Artie and others use them all the time, but I also know that it is possible to get more than you bargained for. Therfore, if at all possible I get my downloads either from the developer's web site or the App Store.
Update: Since MacUpdate began offering to either run safety scans on d/l's or allow them to precede unscanned I've taken to clicking through to developers' websites and d/l'ing directly from there rather than agonizing over a decision to exercise either option. It's faster than the former and at least as safe if not safer than the latter, and it doesn't make the process recognizably longer.

I will say, however, that in close to 20 years of d/l'ing from MU I never once ran into a problem with any app I d/l'ed from there.

I still prefer to link to MU for FTM purposes, though, because the comments often provide perspective that can't be gotten from dev's websites.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire