Originally Posted by ryck
Now that we've regaled you with all our cardio battle stories, a practical question: How did you and your friend manage to get beds? The news practically everywhere is that unvaccinated victims of Covid are overwhelming hospitals, especially ICUs, and that high-priority (but not Covid) patients are not able to get in.
I was concerned about that, but as I live in a part of Texas that has a relatively high vaccination rate, large number of beds, mayors who early on told the governor where to put his mandates, a plethora of medical schools, and competing medical chains that have learned to work together to their mutual benefit my only inconvenience was having procedures in hospitals scattered all over the DFW metroplex none of them near my home. However, the effects of COVID were visible at every level.
  • No one allowed in the building unless they are wearing hospital provided face masks
  • One door where there use to be a wall of doors
  • Top of the line cardiac surgeons with open surgical time available
  • Every one screened in and wearing "sticker of the day".
  • Staff working twelve hour three day sifts at two (or more?) facilities
  • "Traveling" nurses in cardiac ICU
  • Only one visitor per patient per day
  • Anything not in an airtight sealed container not allowed in building, or room (including food)
  • Cafeteria, snack bar, and worst of all — the Starbucks counter closed.
  • Gift shop(s) closed
  • half an acre of lobby/waiting with seating for 100 and only three occupants

In many cases the shortages are not ICU beds per. se. it is an ICU bed with the proper respirator and other equipment, not to mention staff trained to operate the equipment.

My friend's procedure was done in office.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein