A mouse got into the outside box and chewed the fibre optic cable so we lost everything....TV, Internet, Landline phone. It wasn't discovered and fixed for 24 hours but, I figured, in the meantime I can at least do stuff that doesn't require external sources.

I was wrong. The iMac started operating extremely slowly (e.g. Word took nearly 3 minutes to load) so I booted from a Recovery drive and ran Disk Tools, which reported nothing amiss. I booted from my internal drive and I used Cocktail to run the Daily, Weekly and Monthly scripts. I also had it rebuild Launch Services - all of which was painfully slow. Then, all boots got weird. I had boots that didn't display stuff on the desktop; a boot that said it was a Carbon Copy Cloner version; one that was a totally blank screen; and finally, boots with everything in the Dock except an icon of the hard drive. I thought I should re-install the system, except it wasn't possible without an internet connection.

When service was restored, magically the iMac resumed working just fine and has been since. So, it appears I don't need assistance but I'd sure like to hear some theories of why a loss of fibre optic service would cause a loss of performance.

Last edited by ryck; 09/26/21 04:54 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C