🤞I've got my fingers crossed and hoping I am not speaking too soon, but macOS 12 beta 7 feels like a winner. Unlike beta 6 it has been completely stable, and for lack of a more techie description, I have to say it feels solid and smooth. No more inexplicable I/O pauses, snappier responses overall, no more crossing fingers hoping something is going to complete, in other words beta 7 feels like it it is very close to being ready for prime time. Handoff between the iPad and Mac works well, but Universal Control's Cursor and Keyboard handoff has been removed from macOS 12 and iPadOS 15.1. (Maybe to reappear in a later update.) After a very rocky beta 5 and little improvement in beta 6, beta 7 is a welcome relief!

On the third party app front:
  • CCC has gone through a few bug fix betas and continues to work reliably and well. Yes it will produce a bootable clone, but there are definite limits imposed by Apple and macOS 11 and 12 that make such clones significantly less useful IMHO.
  • SoftRAID has a beta release that works and at long last comprehends APFS, but there is an ongoing issue that can cause SoftRAID to think a drive in the array has failed. OWC is convinced the problem is in macOS, but Apple has yet to be convinced they own the problem.
  • Rogue Amoeba claims inititial Monterey compatibility for 3 of their 7 products.
  • Micromat supports Apple silicon on some of its products but is silent on Monterey
  • Marcel Bresink's Tinkertool System runs on Monterey but APFS features are disabled
  • Everything else I have either was Monterey compatible from the get-go or has been updated to Monterey (and universal code).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein