After decades of assiduously avoiding Quicken for what I still think were good and sufficient reasons, I switched to it some eighteen or so months ago because of dissatisfaction with the app I was then using and because Quicken had finally completed a desperately needed total rewrite of their patchwork code base (and because Amazon was offering the subscription at an extremely tempting price). I am still not enamored of the subscription model, but for very high maintenance apps such as Quicken (My bank alone changes the access rules every few months) I have come to believe it is probably the most realistic option.

The last two updates have included highly significant upgrades: 1. Working with financial institutions that require two-factor authentication and just this past week automatic, account reconciliation. With major changes like that occurring multiple times in less than a year the original CD might make you feel better, but would in fact be so far out of date as to be relatively useless. 😱 In the event of Quicken failing as a company, I place my reliance on Time Machine to backup my executable code along with a daily CCC clone of the data volume and a weekly bootable clone, together with Quicken’s ability to export the database in a form that most of their competitors can import should I need or desire to switch. A short term disaster fallback is Quicken on my iPad.

I don’t know if I answered your question or not, but that is my story and I am sticking with it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein