Originally Posted by artie505
Thanks for the insight into Hazel. I've been aware of it for quite a while, but its price tag has deterred me from investigating.

It would be overkill for me, but I can see it being extremely useful for someone who actually does something with their computer other than get into trouble for the sake of getting out of it.
Given how much you like keyboard commands there are others you might take a look at.
  • I rely on Hazel for routine computer housekeeping chores but it is a bit of a "one-trick-pony" although easy to understand and use.
  • KeyboardMaestro is at or near the peak in both power and flexibility, but, as with any powerful tool has the steepest learning curve. It requires you to create macros using KM's internal macros, Unix shell commands, AppleScript, javascript, even Python or Swift but in the end it can do pretty much anything you might want in the way of keyboard, mouse, trackpad, etc macros. You just have to have the patience, desire, and skills to work with it.
  • Somewhere in between Hazel and Keyboard Maestro there is BetterTouchTool that offers some invaluable window and screen management features in addition to keyboard commands, mouse and trackpad gestures, and powerful macros.

Right now, I am in the process of determining whether or not Keyboard Maestro has enough added value for me to justify investing in the learning curve. As I said, it does have a steep learning curve, but it may have the advantage of integrating nicely with my DEVONThink database. The jury is examining the evidence, but has yet to reach a decision. 🤷‍♂️

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein