I've always been somewhat leery of iCloud (uncertain about storing private information anywhere other than drives I control) but I find this quite interesting....did a quick look around and see that Private Relay will be part of a paid subscription called iCloud+, which will have other security benefits. It seems to be headed for iOS 15....it'd be good if it was also ported over to OS (and very nice if it started in OS 14).

EDIT: Found the following at another site.

"Cloud Private Relay is a service that lets you connect to virtually any network and browse with Safari in an even more secure and private way. It ensures that the traffic leaving your device is encrypted and uses two separate internet relays so no one can use your IP address, location, and browsing activity to create a detailed profile about you.

iCloud Private Relay is automatically enabled on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad when using Safari – no other browser – and when logged into your iCloud Plus account.

iCloud Private Relay first sends web traffic to a server maintained by Apple, where the IP address is stripped. Next, Apple sends the traffic to a second server maintained by a third-party operator who assigns the user a temporary IP address and sends the traffic onward to its destination website.

The use of an outside party in the second hop of the relay system is designed to prevent even Apple from knowing both the user’s identity and what website the user is visiting. Apple will disclose which outside partners it will use in the system in the future, likely when the service comes online this fall."

Last edited by ryck; 07/22/21 01:56 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C