PRIVATE RELAY
  • What is it? a part of iCloud+ and included in Apple One that changes your IP address either to a location somewhere in your immediate region or somewhere in your country and time zone. The intention being to hide your specific location from trackers.
  • Does it work? It most definitely works on the immediate location setting it says I am in Fort Worth, but a completely different ISP and my identity is a company called Cloudflare in California. If I select the "somewhere in your country time zone" I am still Cloudflare but my IP address places me in San Jose, CA. (not quite the same time zone). This provides a major part of the protection offered by a VPN with no detectable performance hit.
  • Gotcha: When I attempted to place an Amazon order with Private Relay enabled, I was unable to convince them my delivery address was not in California and that the sales taxes should be rendered in Texas, not California. Dropping back to the "Somewhere in your immediate region" solved the problem.
  • Will I use it? Yes but I wish it were included in the features that can be set on a site-by-site basis in Safari (maybe in macOS 13).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein