Originally Posted By: alternaut
While still present, the archived MFIF have not only been eviscerated by their newly acquired glacial speed, but also by the removal of the Search function. Unbelievable! I'm not sure exactly when this happened, but it sure is gone now. mad

I don't think the Search function was removed; we're just not able to access it because we're not logged into MFIF. Despite being logged into the TechTracker sites overall, as indicated in the top blue bar, and despite the fact that a single login is supposed to work universally, you'll notice that in the Forums navigation bar, you're informed that "You are not logged in."

Nor is this intentional on CNET's part, I'm sure: if the aim was to prevent use of the archives, why would they even leave them up? No, I think the extreme difficulties in managing registration and login issues that have marked the TT sites in the CNET era have manifested themselves once again in the transition to a read-only MFIF archive. We're all logged out, and attempting to log back in (by first logging out either via the blue bar or by dumping cookies and reloading the page) initiates a loop which includes Safari can’t open “://localhost/” because Mac OS X doesn’t recognize Internet addresses starting with “:” error pages.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for this to be fixed.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors