Notification OFF stops all apps from sending notifications period. But there are some notifications, like weather or safety emergency notifications that will over-ride that setting. Perhaps a abetter alternative is individually tailoring which apps can send what kinds of notifications in the same System Preferences > Notifications pane. The drop down when you click on the clock at the right end of the menu bar is called the Notification Center and what Notifications are placed there are among the individual application notification options available, but it cannot be disabled entirely. In Big Sur there are Widgets added to the Notification Center, as you find in iOS/iPadOS 14 and later.

If you don't have Apple's SF (San Francisco) fonts they are free downloads from here and other locations on the web. Apple created them specifically for system fonts on the watch, iPhone, iPad. as well as the Mac and the "Compact" variants are particularly good for reducing the with of words in menus without reducing readability and comprehension, which is crucial on the watch, but work well on the Mac as well. As to the font pitch I find 16 point to be about right and if I go below 12 point eyestrain kicks in pretty quickly unless I wear computer tinted reading glasses..

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein