Quote:
The iphone is 3G capable, but AT&T's 3g network is so small that your daughter's connection might have been Edge. Depends on where she lives. Iphones here connect via Edge.

Actually that was on the Florida Gold Coast using a MacBook with Verizon 3G, not AT&T.

My 3G service on the iPhone is good these days. I am seeing peak download speeds of just over 1Mbps in the mid morning and an average of just over 600Kbps in the peak evening hours but then AT&T just doubled their 3G capacity in our area. But that is off topic so I better drop that line of discussion before I have to move this to The Lounge. grin

As far as I know the various 3G internet adaptors are all on a one device per computer basis, but it might be feasible to connect your Mac via 3G and then use the Airport in the Mac to create a wireless network to share its internet connection. Given your mixed media network there would be some challenges to work out but I am confident it could be done. You might see if Verizon, or whoever the 3G network provider is, would be willing to send a technician to your location to test the connectivity and speed. AT&T did that for my next door neighbor but then he pays a lot more for his 3G connection than I do for a 6Mbps DSL.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein