I live in a rural area that is not serviced by cable or DSL. I have, since moving here 2-1/2 years ago, accessed the internet via HughesNet. I have their ProPlus plan with a HN7000S modem (Ku technology) that has a maxium download speed of 1.5Mbps. I've had connection problems this past week, and have been performing speed tests offered by HughesNet. My speeds range from 1498 one time early in the morning to a low of 19 in the evening. Generally as the day progresses, the speed declines, degrading to poor dial-up speeds in the 6-8 pm time frame. To me, that level of service in unacceptable when I'm paying a premium for 1.5 down. HughesNet tech support in India doesn't think I have a problem--speeds will vary.

I've tried to evaluate various options over the past several days to come up with an alternative.
1. I can reduce my level of service and pay $20/mo less for 512k down which is more in line with the speed I average.
2. I can upgrade to the newer Ka band equipment for 400.00 with no guarantee that it will fix my problem, but empty assurances that it will. I say empty because they won't give me the 30 day trial that they offer new users, so I'm stuck with the service for 2 years or pay an early termination fee of $400.
3. I can change to Skyblue, which does have a comparable plan. I called one of their listed installers in my area, and was told Skyblue was slower than HughesNet.
4. I can go with Verizon 3g wireless (I think their service reaches me here), but I would need a usb modem for all 3 computers and would pay 3 monthly fees.

I'm wondering if there is a way for my 3 networked computers to share a common usb modem. My home network consists of a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G router, my Mac G4 (OSX 10.4.11) hardwired, my wife's Dell desktop (Windows XP) hardwired, an HP Laserjet 2200 hardwired, and an Acer Aspire One (Windows XP) wirelessly connected with the aid of a Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...JER (-: >