I should have asked you hardware configuration details in your other thread. 🙄

I have not encountered any memory problems on my M1 Mac mini with 16GB of memory and I often have anywhere from six to eight apps all running at the same time, but apparently application memory is not an uncommon problem with Big Sur on some laptops. I did have a minor issue with running out of storage that was caused by APFS snapshots which in turn could have resulted in application memory issues due to a lack of room for swap files, but that was solved, hopefully for good, in macOS 11.4 and I am now on MacOS 11.5 beta. After new installs or updates of Big Sur (macOS 11.x) there is sometimes a period of up to a few days while the system is doing a lot of behind the scenes shifting things around that can eat a lot of memory, but that should go away after a while. Both Chrome and Safari have been implicated in memory leaks (I use Safari Technology Preview) but that could just be because they are two of the most often used apps on any system. This article from SetApp has several memory management tips you might look at.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/01/21 09:19 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein