Originally Posted by artie505
That's what I was wondering about. (Too bad the security had to precede the functionality at all, let alone for so long.)
I suspect the lag is because most developers have figured out how to do their thing without installing kernel extensions at the system level which means very few are effected. Given the workload involved with the new processor and the biggest update of MacOS since the OS X Public beta not to mention the annual release schedule Apple had to prioritize. In case someone is wondering why Apple didn't simply throw more developers at the project, from my experience on very large software projects we were able to prove adding more bodies invariably resulted in significant delays, schedule slippages, and dramatic increases in error rates. So more bodies are counterproductive.

Is that an M1 thing? CCC can do it on my Intel MBP. Or am I misunderstanding what you've said?
The issue is the sealed encrypted bootable volume/snapshot. Only the installer can create it and if you update without rebuilding it then it is broken and no longer bootable. In his blogs and documentation Mike Bombich recommends cloning only the data volume then re-installing the OS using the Recovery Assistant then using Migration Assistant to import the data from the clone volume.

Wow! I've never looked at that screen carefully, so I've always wondered why the heck my usual tasks were popping up. Oops!
If you are looking at CCC or SD solely from the focus of creating bootable clones, you wouldn't have noticed all of the sophisticated features Mike Bombich has built into CCC. He obviously has a longer range view of CCC than a convenient method of creating bootable external drives.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney