SUPER DUPER TEST
  1. Yes they have a free version
  2. The M1 compatible version is availalble only through a link in the blog and not from the usual download links
  3. Yes it does produce bootable clones
  4. They are the same incomplete clones as those produced by CCC 6. (NOTE: Apple's ASR routine works as it is intended to, the fix for the incomplete clones will come in macOS 12 or 13 after Apple completes work on their extensionKit and third party developers have rewritten their code to use it.)
  5. Like CCC, Super Dupper cannot update a clone and maintain bootability. ASR always erases the target drive.

OBSERVATIONS
  • Updating CCC to version 6 cost $20, the full purchase price is $39.99. It can be used free for thirty days
  • Super Duper registration costs $25 but it can be used with reduced features at no cost
  • CCC has a much richer set of options and functions including a full suite of tools for working with APFS Snapshots.
  • CCC Clones open to a CCC screen with prebuilt tasks to clone back to the source drive.

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)
  • If your primary or sole objective is a bootable clone either CCC or SD will get the job done
  • If you are looking for an alternative backup solution, CCC's tools for working with APFS snapshots make it more functional and flexible
  • If cost is your primary concern Super Duper can't be beaten as it can be used free of charge
  • The additional features of CCC do result in the user having more choices and can be intimidating to some users, but the documentation is outstanding.
  • Both are good utilities and it seems to me the choice comes down to the simplicity of Super Duper vs. the Flexibility and functionality of CCC and which fits your needs and tastes best.
  • I switched from CCC to Super Duper when SD first came out then back to CCC when SD was slow in supporting some new MacOS releases, so I am familiar with the history of both. After testing the two current betas the simplicity of SD is appealing, but I can envision too many situations where CCC's additional functionality and sophistication can be useful. I paid my $20 for the CCC 6 upgrade.

CAVEAT

I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with either Shirt Pocket Software or Mike Bombich, other than that of a purchaser of their software. The opinions expressed are mine and not those of FineTunedMac.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney