You can find a ton of advice and commentary on the internet and the following is just my opinion and in no way should it be considered Gospel.

BACKGROUND:
  1. There are multiple VPN protocols
  2. VPN providers typically offer access via several different protocols according to which VPN server is chosen
  3. Any VPN will negatively impact performance to some degree depending on the protocol, server speed, server load, etc.
  4. VPN networks disguise your actual location (which makes their use popular, in countries with oppressive political regimes)
  5. VPN networking provides message encryption from point to point, but not neccessarily end to end
  6. VPN does NOT hide or disguise your browser signature so while VPN may disguise your physical location it does NOT prevent your internet activity from being tracked.

PROs
  • Provides additional layers of network security

CONs
  • Performance impact which can feel really severe if you have a slow internet connection
  • Cost (I lucked into a one time good deal of a lifetime subscription to CyberGhost for the cost of a few months months use. It didn't start out so good, but over time it has grown and expanded to be very good.)

CONSIDERATIONS
  • Cost
  • Protocols supported
  • Performance (Always try BEFORE you buy)
  • How many servers and where they are located (the more the better)
  • Cost
  • Other services offered. (A growing number of security products are offering VPN as an add-on. For Example MalwareBytes is offering VPN as an add-on to their anti-malware product)
  • Support for Mobile and Wearable devices ie. iOS and iPadOS
  • Number of devices supported (five is common)
  • Cost

NOTE
  • There is no reason a VPN should interfere with email or an email client. At least I have never encountered any problem with CyberGhost, or MalwareBytes VPN.
  • I mention CyberGhost and MalwareBytes VPN not as a recommendation but because they are the two VPNs I have the most and most recent experience with.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein