Originally Posted by ryck
Thanks for the caution. I have to wonder about Consumer Reports who many people trust as a reliable source of unbiased information. How did they miss the issues? Would they not have tested an "off the shelf" version long enough? Or, could they have gone to the publisher for the software but, given who they are, been given a "cleaned up" version that would not trigger the negative aspects?
Consumer Reports is fine, provided that you don't take it as the last word. I suspect that, in the case of AVG, they tested it long enough to see that it detected and removed viruses that CR deliberately introduced, but never had it long enough to see its other issues.

In a related reference to CR, I wanted to buy a dehumidifier many years ago and CR had given a top rating to a GE model. When I read the reviews at CR's website, it stood out that this machine broke down after 6 months. I subsequently bought a Winix dehumidifier, have had it many years, and it still works flawlessly. CR also gives top reliability ratings to the 2011 Honda Accord. I ditched that car when, at only 62000 miles, it needed a timing chain replacement (note, not a timing BELT) and developed a frozen brake caliper. The local Honda dealer soaked me for the repairs ($1700 and $700 respectively). I bit the bullet, had it repaired, and traded it for a 2020 Toyota Camry.

Oh, one more thing: The Honda needed a new battery after 6 years (not a complaint; to be expected) and I replaced it with a Honda battery that failed after one year. Honda replaced it under warranty at no charge, but I began to lose faith in Honda parts.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365