I've owned 3 Powerbooks and 2 MacBook Pros since 1991 (when the Powerbook 100 came out). The first three still work. I loved my Titanium Powerbook G4, and used it for nearly 10 years. With the original battery it would still run for nearly 3 hours. Number 4 (Intel MBP) had a logic board failure, and Apple service wouldn't fix it. They claimed that no parts were available. It was just barely over six years old, and past Apple's official six year parts availability cutoff. The product life is trending ever shorter. For any new Mac that I may decide to buy, I'll be using a maximum 5 year lifespan when I evaluate whether or not it's worth the money.

I'm no longer doing any business travel, so I don't need a powerful notebook computer. I have a very nice older HP/Compaq notebook running Ubuntu, that I can use for travel. I may look at getting a desktop computer in a few months. I'll wait and see what kind of feedback the Mac M1 Mini gets after it's been around for a while. At least with a Mini, I can supply my own keyboard and monitor, and the only Apple hardware that I'll have to deal with is the CPU.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6