@ macnerd10, MacManiac, ryck, and JoBoy...
Hey gang... Swell. Perfect. Thanks for all that.

Well, if that SHA-1 info is now hiding behind some option (or perhaps only available to DURP somehow?), or gone entirely... then my intended investigation is pretty much dead in the water.

Though... some info is still visible. I find this commonality to be a rather odd development:
Quote:
mode: 4755 (?rwsr-xr-x )

Here's what 10.5 tracked...
Quote:
mode: 104755 (-rwsr-xr-x )

...which is what one would expect. I don't want to go into details at this hour, but i see some serious corners being cut. And -- as evidenced here (as well as elsewhere) by continued glitchy updates w.r.t. DURP reporting stuff we can no longer [properly] guess precisely where/when the boo-boo might be happening -- it would seem that even the "corner-cutting" bandages aren't too effective at this juncture. [i.e., instead of fixing the problem at its source, the approach seems to be more one of either masking the symptoms, or simply having DURP do less checking.]

--

I guess we'll just have to ride this one out in the dark. [Anyone remember all those "special permissions" messages in 10.4 that lasted an eternity? Or how about when DURP reported permissions in *decimal* -- e.g., 33261? crazy Gracious, it's almost as if there's some technician setting up these little foibles deliberately... and then just sitting back at his house, laughing at the results.]

Anyway, i feel certain Good Sir Ganbustein knows way more about this stuff than i do. My main motivation [since before OSX 10.4 even] is: i would like to see Disk Utility and its comrades (Installer.app, Software Update.app, etc) all work together and perform as impeccably as possible. I'm afraid 10.6 will not fulfill that desire.

Oh well... when does 10.7 come out then? [or, perhaps i should just learn the joys of lowered expectations.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/16/09 06:35 PM.