I understand your concern! and a factory reset would be little different and no less risk.

If the spinning globe shows up it may mean there is some internal processing going on and you just have to wait it out or it may mean another process has blocked the one in foreground from starting or completing. Don't forget, you can always try pressing ⌥⌘ESC (Option+Command+Escape) to bring up the Force Quit Window and forcing whatever is going on to quit there (usually flagged as not responding). Be aware that during the process of booting from the Recovery Drive and installing MacOS, there are several places where there is no apparent activity, sometimes half an hour or more as material is downloaded from the internet, download packages expanded, prepared, installed. Personally I don't get concerned until there has been at least half an hour of no apparent activity, even a blank screen, and I have a very fast internet connection and a very fast Mac. So don't get anxious and quit too soon. A lot of bad jokes stemming from my training background come to mind, but I won't insult you by repeating one of them, just remember that patience really can be a time and worry saver. 😜

The only thing I don't get is when you say…
Originally Posted by Plantsower
I know I would have to update to Catalina. If for no other reason, my bank will only work on it now.
Pardon my French but that aint right! Not that I am saying you aren't truthful rather there is no rational reason that should be true for any banking establishment site big or little.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein