Originally Posted by jaybass
Joe, I checked on the internet and was advised to download combo cleaner for free. Their scan found 4 infections, 3 of which are Library/ApplicationSupport/ClamXAV/quarantine/player dmg files.

The files found in the Library/ApplicationSupport/ClamXAV/quarantine/ folder were malware that had been detected and quarantined by ClamXAV. Quarantine pulled their fangs and prevented their operation. So Combo cleaner did nothing other than confirm ClamXAV's identification of those files as malware.

The other is
/users/admin/downloads/judy-c50fb6ae.iso which I couldn't find or have ever heard of. I trashed the other 3.

You cannot easily see or access files in another user's account, so unless you are logged onto your system as the user named "admin" you would not be able to find judy-c50fb6ae.iso. If you are logged onto "admin" (that is an account ID, not a privilege level) and still can't find it, there are a number of ways the file may be hidden from Finder. One way of getting rid of the file would be to Launch Terminal then Copy the following and paste it at the Terminal prompt.
Code
sudo rm -i /users/admin/downloads/judy-c50fb6ae.iso
Press enter then enter your admin password (you will not see any response not the screen) Press enter and if the file actually exists it should be removed.The .iso extension identifies the file as a type of disk image file, equivalent to a .dmg, that could contain almost anything including malware. A google search for judy-c50fb6ae.iso came up empty, a DuckDuckGo search on the other hand turned up an variety of disparate hits mostly in Russian.

combo cleaner wanted me to upgrade...not free, which I declined.

It appears the paid version includes the option for the app to delete the files it identified as malware. The reviews on Combo Cleaner are mixed. Personally it appears ClamXAV has been diligently doing what it purports to do and keeping your Mac safe. It also appears you probably need to be more judicious in where you are going on the web to be exposed to so much malware.

FWIW I use the paid version of MalwareBytes on all my madOS, iOS, and iPadOS devices. I am a firm believer in the old adage you get what you paid for and that is particularly true where security is involved.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein