After a hard crash, I recently had a HD replaced by Apple via Apple Care. When I took the machine to the Apple store, I was 20 days beyond my Apple Care agreement. Still, they offered, without my prompting, to replace the HD at no cost.

At that point I did not rock the boat and ask to have my old data resurrected, but merely extended profuse thanks for their approach to Customer Service.

And now to the issue:
I presumed that after the new drive was replaced, Apple would return the old drive to me. When I picked up my machine and inquired re the old drive I was told the old drives are not returned. The tech advised that all HDs erased and sent for disposal (or sometimes for repair).

While the old HD did not have the password to my Cayman Island Credit Suisse account, my SSAN and other bits of personal data were (are?) there. Were I to dispose of the drive, I would know the old data could not be recovered. But now I must trust Apple.

So, might anyone know what procedures Apple takes to ensure bad things don’t happen to customer’s replaced drives?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire