Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Nope, Simplicity = Being Smart. That's the way Apple used to conduct business. Now, they continue to make life difficult. Sure is an example of being narrow minded.

Being smart = Locking down the system in the face of the current scenario of relentless attacks regardless of a few unhappy users, which makes your idea of narrow-mindedness diametrically opposed to mine.

If you've got a specific simpler - and at least equally smart - approach to user security than Apple has come up with, I - and, I'm certain, they - would love to hear about it.

In the meantime, though, the real life fallout from Apple's approach of which I"m aware has been negligible.

Again, you misstate the situation. If Apple really wanted to, they could be Smart and find ways to "lock down" the system without causing so many headaches. And my notion of Apple being narrow minded is right on the money.

I really would like to see them get back to doing it the straight forward way, but because of Apple making life difficult, and except for CCC and intel-based Macs, that is not the case. As Tom Hanks said in "Forrest Gump", Stupid is as stupid does. That's the way I feel regarding how Apple has messed up SD and CCC.

[And] what happens with the next version of the Mac OS? Will Apple be short sighted again? What many folks are forgetting is such a situation happened with Catalina. When Apple released OS 10.15.5, it caused all kinds of issues for both SD and CCC. CCC did come up with a work around, but Apple did correct the issue with the release of V10.15.6 (and things are fine with V10.15.7). But then Big Sur is released, and the issues for SD and CCC are back.

YOU'VE JUST GOT TO BE KIDDING!

Your basis for saying that I've misstated the situation, i.e. its reality, is your statement that
If Apple really wanted to, they could be Smart and find ways to "lock down" the system without causing so many headaches.
and before I buy into that, you're gonna have to document your authority for saying it: Are you a highly skilled software engineer with in-depth knowledge of Apple's core code; or have you got a well-placed contact at Apple who talks too much; or did you hear it from the tooth fairy or, perhaps, a more authoritative source such as Rudy Giuliani; or...or what?

And you'll also have to clarify your definition of "narrow-minded."

It seems to be rooted in your feeling that Apple doesn't care about CCC and SD!, and that's selling them way short. They're in business to make money, and coding out cloning ability would surely cost them dearly by driving users away from Macs.

You keep going on about the 10.15.5 glitch, which was not the first such embarrassing moment for Apple (Remember when v 10.3.3 of Panther broke our internal modems and we had to either revert to 10.3.2 or rely on an external modem until 10.3.4 was released?), nor was it the least bit relevant to any Big Sur problems, nor do they presage problems in the next version of macOS.

Heck! This is complicated business, and unforeseen things happen when MAJOR, let alone minor, changes are made to an OS, but I'll continue to have faith in Apple's ingenuity and the fact that they've long since proven themselves to be anything but stupid.

NO, I AM NOT KIDDING!

First, I am not a software engineer (although I am a former software developer, and used a different language, different applications, and different platforms). But all along, Apple has been touted as being so much more innovative than Microsoft, including the ease of using a Mac over a PC. Recently, it's very, very clear that Apple is moving away from that.

Secondly, unlike you, I do not listen to a tooth family, nor do I put a quarter under my pillow for the tooth fairy, nor do I listen to Rudy Giuliani. As it is, you are the one who lives in NY, not me! Hence, you would listen to him.

Third, and you FINALLY state something that makes sense, yes, I am pi**ed off that Apple is trying to kill off SD and CCC. Until Big Sur, everything was fine, but since then, not so good.

Fourth, regarding that snafu by Apple with V10.15.5 of Catalina, note what Mike Bombich says about it:

https://bombich.com/blog/2020/05/27...ts-bootable-backups-weve-got-you-covered

So, besides David N., even Mike B. moaned about it. You state that this snafu "nor was it the least bit relevant to any Big Sur problems". Yes, as far as running Big Sur, that is true. But, 1) it was very relevant to making backups with SD or CCC and Catalina, and 2) it showed just how callous and narrow minded Apple could be. If not, how could they fix it so easily in V10.15.6?

In actuality, both Dave and Mike are holding out some hope that Apple is working on the issues with their asr, and possibly would be resolved in the future. We'll see. If Apple does come through, it will restore my faith in Apple as being an innovative company that believes in the KISS philosophy (like they have in the past).