Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by Ira L
,,,the loss of functionality in SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner is the ability to make a bootable backup (clone). This is a significant distinction from Time Machine. So far on Apple's SoC M1 Macs (to date) SD and CCC can make backups of the data portions of the drive.
Hasn't joemike reported that CCC can consistently make bootable clones of his M1 providing the hardware configuration is copacetic?
Yes I have said that it is possible to consistently make bootable volumes on M1 Macs if everything is copacetic (that word takes me back to my time in the Navy) but, and this is a BIG but, that process is entirely dependent on the installer to create the crypto-logically sealed APFS snapshot that is bootable. That puts any possibility of making a clone the old fashioned direct way beyond the realm of possibility. (It also puts a huge swathe of potential malware exploits into the shredder. 😎)

Apple's ASR utility worked with Intel Macs to create a bootable clone in Catalina and early betas of Big Sur on Intel Macs, but many of the security features have been removed, relocated, reallocated, and/or reshuffled on M1 Macs. For example some security settings that applied to all boot drives attached to an Intel Mac, are specific to each specific boot volume group on M1 Macs. While I don't know enough about the inner machinations of M1 Macs and Big Sur to fully apprehend everything that is involved, I know enough to realize that could, and probably has, thrown a major monkey-wrench into the entire ASR design. When you add to that the laws of unintended circumstances and Murphy's Law, it is entirely feasible the ASR utility has become the developer's Gordian's knot. So until someone figures out how to either untie or cut that knot, clones will remain out of reach.

Well said! And from this link for Bombich Software:

https://bombich.com/blog

note that it says:

"Support for System volume cloning on Apple Silicon Macs is disabled for now because Apple's APFS replication utility does not currently work on that platform. When Apple fixes that, we'll post an update to CCC that restores support for making bootable backups on Apple Silicon Macs"

(APFS replication utility is ASR, I believe).

And here Dave Nanian lays out the issues very specifically:

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/

Note the "catastrophe" he described with V10.15.5 of Catalina, which I have previously mentioned a couple of times.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/07/21 06:06 PM.