Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by Ira L
,,,the loss of functionality in SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner is the ability to make a bootable backup (clone). This is a significant distinction from Time Machine. So far on Apple's SoC M1 Macs (to date) SD and CCC can make backups of the data portions of the drive.
Hasn't joemike reported that CCC can consistently make bootable clones of his M1 providing the hardware configuration is copacetic?

Again, if you read the link I provided above for Bombich software, you will see that a direct backup/clone from an M1-based Mac requires some additional steps. As for Intel-based Macs, on the thread "Carbon Copy Cloner Status" (which I started), jchuzi made this post:

"I'm using CCC with Big Sur and, if you follow your customary procedure of reformatting the APFS volume and cloning everything, all will be well. One caveat: Let CCC erase the destination volume as part of the cloning procedure rather than use Disk Utility to reformat and then use CCC. That worked better for me than reformatting with Disk Utility and then cloning with CCC."