Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
...I thought Apple believed in the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Used to be that way.
Simplicity = Vulnerability

Pick your poison. frown

(I DO think there's some overkill going on, but I'm willing to live with the tradeoff.)

Nope, Simplicity = Being Smart. That's the way Apple used to conduct business. Now, they continue to make life difficult. Sure is an example of being narrow minded.

Being smart = Locking down the system in the face of the current scenario of relentless attacks regardless of a few unhappy users, which makes your idea of narrow-mindedness diametrically opposed to mine.

If you've got a specific simpler - and at least equally smart - approach to user security than Apple has come up with, I - and, I'm certain, they - would love to hear about it.

In the meantime, though, the real life fallout from Apple's approach of which I"m aware has been negligible.

Again, you misstate the situation. If Apple really wanted to, they could be Smart and find ways to "lock down" the system without causing so many headaches. And my notion of Apple being narrow minded is right on the money. Of course the same can be said of other companies/organizations, so I am not signaling out Apple.

I do agree that for the every day user like myself, except for needing to give up on some excellent applications, the effects of all this are basically very, very little. But the one thing I am definitely not pleased about is the loss (so far) of SuperDuper! (SD), and except for Intel-based Macs, the loss of Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). It is true that each of them have work arounds, but they are both clumsy and cumbersome, at best. I really would like to see them get back to doing it the straight forward way, but because of Apple making life difficult, and except for CCC and intel-based Macs, that is not the case. As Tom Hanks said in "Forrest Gump", Stupid is as stupid does. That's the way I feel regarding how Apple has messed up SD and CCC.

One other point: the loss of SD and CCC (except for Intel-based Macs) is a "core" operation that one must do, ie, make backups. Yes, there is Time Machine, but there are just too many advantages to using SD and CCC. That loss is definitely a bummer! I guess it is possible that in the future, both SD and CCC (with hopefully assistance from Apple, although that seems like a long shot right now) will work as usual. But then what happens with the next version of the Mac OS? Will Apple be short sighted again? What many folks are forgetting is such a situation happened with Catalina. When Apple released OS 10.15.5, it caused all kinds of issues for both SD and CCC. CCC did come up with a work around, but Apple did correct the issue with the release of V10.15.6 (and things are fine with V10.15.7). But then Big Sur is released, and the issues for SD and CCC are back.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/05/21 09:06 PM.