Originally Posted by MartyByrde
I suspect a number of folks have been caught in the same "trap", and need a way to get out. The current situation with attacks on Asians/Asian-Americans (and mainly of Chinese descent) is due to the COVID situation. I'll bet there are enough "pissed off" folks out there who think that ANY individual os Asian descent is responsible for this. That is so far away from the truth, and definitely narrow minded.

I understand how you would justifiably be aware of animosity toward persons of Asian descent, but I believe the animosity is toward anyone who is not like "ME" especially if "THEY" are encountered in groups. Admittedly as an anglo I am less aware of prejudice than I would be if I were in the target population, but I hear and see prejudice most often directed at any groups that are easily identifiable by some characteristic such as skin color, language, dress, religion, cultural practices, anything that is different than "US". And the more of "THEM" there are the greater the animosity. A Trump supporter famously asked an Native American Indian "Why don't you go back where you came from?"

If you think about it, the animosity is rather pitiful as it arises out of a fear of losing control or power. A feeling "I am unable to compete without some edge to make me preferable to THEM in the marketplace for a job — or a mate." They would be pitiful if it weren't for their potential for harm.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein