Well stated, joe. What is so ironic is that when I was in Korea, I was not mis-treated at all. In fact, folks were pleasant to me.

What you say about the "toleration" of such events is also very, very accurate. But it sure pisses me off when it happens. And the release of that a**hole in New York is definitely disappointing, to say the least! I suspect that your characterization of the release being "I suspect the release was expedient and had as more to do with the prosecutor's and court case load than justice" is also right on the money. Yet the evidence was CLEAR!

I was a Weather Officer in the Air Force, and after my wife and I got married and left Korea, I was assigned to Offutt AFB, Nebraska (just south of Omaha). My wife attended a wives function, and when each woman was asked what department their husband worked in, my wife (her English at that time was limited) said "GF", which was correct. But another woman kind of mocked her and repeated "GF". Fortunately, the wife of my boss, a Major, was so good to my wife, and basically told her to ignore that woman. But to say I was shocked and disappointed would be an understatement! My wife of course was disappointed also. I did resign about 10 months later, as I was not going to have my wife endure such crap, especially in the mid US. That is also one of the main reasons why we settled near Seattle, as I was well aware of the large amount Asians out this way, from San Diego, through Los Angels, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle, up to Vancouver, British Columbia.

As for "I have been shocked and saddened by racial incidents I had thought were in the past and unconscionable in the present", not sure why you would expect that. Such unacceptable incidents have been happening all the time, including in other countries. I have certainly been well aware of it, including now.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/23/21 01:00 AM.