Originally Posted by kevs
Darn Joe, Zero interest in spending 6-7 times more.... hmmm laptop maybe just back up for apps can copy back?
The best I can offer is SSD prices are falling steadily and I am confident will continue to fall as the market matures but you are not likely to see a $50 1TB SSD any time soon, $150 1TB SSD maybe in a year or two.

What need SSD to boot into? And no bootable anyhow current with SD etc ……
There are three reasons to have a bootable external drive:
  1. A fall back in case of a failure of the internal drive
  2. To have more than one macOS version available, perhaps to support a major app that won't run under the latest macOS version.
  3. You cannot make repair to the current boot drive so it is necessary to boot from another volume in order to make repairs. In which case you would need to boot from a different drive. If all you are using for repairs is Disk Utility then you could boot from the recovery drive, or possibly run TechTool Pro from an EDrive.

SD has me backing up currently my imac Mac HD, but not bootable…
And no indication that is going to change any time soon.

What is the main difference between.a bootable and non bootable backup for a Mac HD, besides being able to work from bootable, which I've never had to Do in 20 years on Mac...
  • one is bootable and the other is not.
  • With a bootable external drive you can have different macOS versions on each drive

When all is said and done the main reason many old time computer geeks feel naked unless their system is backed up with a bootable clone is their unwavering faith in the truth of McGillicuddy's corollary to Murphy's immutable law. Murphy's law is, of course, "If anything can fail it will fail" while McGillicuddy's corollary adds, "at the worst possible time." thus…
Originally Posted by Murphy's law & McGillicuddy's Corollary
If anything can fail it will fail at the worst possible time

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein