Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
So, there is no "easy" way of just resizing current partitions, even if there is plenty of free space available. Just seems so counter-intuitive.
It is a function of how partitions are created and their relationship to the physical location on the drive. Whereas APFS volumes are logical structures and not tied to a specific physical location.

NOTE: You will not go too far astray if you think of a volume as "a folder that mounts, and functions, like a drive".

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
How do I set up such volumes? Use Disk Utility for this? I am going to want to have 3 of them: 2 for each of my Carbon Copy Cloner backups, and the third for miscellaneous items.
Yes you use Disk Utility. Once a drive is formatted APFS, when you select the Container in Disk Utility a +/- icon will be enabled on the tool bar. Selecting a plus will create a new partition and minus will delete a partition. Either option takes only a few seconds at most. There is an option to specify the size of a volume, but I strongly recommend ignoring it altogether and allow volumes to grow or shrink as needed. It is far more flexible.

OK, from what I gather, here is what I should do:

1. Launch Disk Utility.
2. Erase and Format the entire SSD as APFS.
3. Select the Container.
4. Click the "+" sign to create 3 Volumes.
5. If desired, designate a size for each volume. (If I did that, I would make each Carbon Copy Cloner backup volume 175 gig in size, and the Miscellaneous one about 150 gig).

So just to confirm, I really don't need to do #5, and the space needed for the two Carbon Copy Cloner volumes will adjust as needed.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/17/21 12:18 AM.