Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks Joe this is on my older 2015 Imac. (laptop has not arrived yet). Getting iMac on Big Sur so they match.

Everything working ok. Eternal Seagates are 3 to 8TB.

So I'll just not worry about it. ok?

As long as everything is working that might be okay. While it might not hurt to keep them; if they are not needed, or are too far out of date' they could become a problem in the future and even a real pain in the backside on your M1 when you get it. Frankly I cannot imagine any reason a driver would be required for a disk drives on a Mac unless it was setup for NAS (Network Attached Storage) or they are drivers to provide read & write access on Windows formatted drives. Hopefully someone else will chip in here if they know of any other reason for Seagate drives to have their own kernel extension. I have a sneaking suspicion they are a hangover from long past that were on the drives when you got them and likely are no longer needed.

NEXT STEPS
  1. What does Disk Utility say the format of the Seagate drives is?
  2. You might download and run the latest version of Etrecheck (even better use Etrecheck Pro if you have it) and see what it has to say about the extensions. It should tell you what extensions are installed and if they are loaded or not. I am guessing that at least one of the three kexts (kernel extensions) will not show up as it would be the one that was flagged as uninstalled the others may appear as "not loaded". When you have done that, copy the section of the report on Kernel Extensions and paste it into a reply here and everyone will have a better idea of what is going on and if there is anything to be concerned about.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney