Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by jaybass
Why is it protected? I assume that is why it is greyed out.
I'm only guessing about the current version of EasyFind (which is probably at least 5 years removed from the previous version, which I used before I discovered Find Any File), but the earlier version, by developer intent, did not allow for the deletion of items that require authentication, and that may be what you've run into.

I suggest that you go through EF's documentation and see if the devs have added a "root" option, and if they haven't, you can try Find Any File, which has one. ("Find Any File is Shareware: You may try it out without buying first. Simply download it. If you keep using it you are expected to pay for it, though.")

(I had Dropbox years ago, and as I recall, there were some issues involved with uninstalling it.)

Interesting about EasyFind. I've always have used the latest version, and never encountered the situation the op did. OTOH, can't remember if I've encountered a "protected" application like DropBox. However, as I mentioned, I use AppCleaner first to remove as much as possible (again, always using the latest version "applicable" with the Mac OS I am running), including the application itself. Again, though, never encountered a protected app.

But yeah, sounds like joemike's explanation is accurate.

I will say, though, that after successfully using AppCleaner to remove both the application and most associated files, when I run EasyFind, sometimes it does find files associated with that app which cannot be removed. They seem rather obscure to me, so I don't let it bother me. So such "prohibitive" removal can happen with non-protected applications (ie, at least ones which AppCleaner can remove).

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/11/21 06:48 PM.