Originally Posted by keys
After Big Sur Upgrade, only weird message was Seagate system extension, block. I have 3 external Seagates, but they seem to be working just fine.

I emailed Seagate, no response, who knows when get back. Is this big concern?

Big Sur is really picky about kernel extensions, but if everything is working correctly then I wouldn't worry. I am just trying to figure out why you would need a system extension for any Seagate drive? What kind drives are these?

However, if this happens again the general procedure when you get a notification that any extension did not load:

ON BOTH INTEL AND M1 MACS:
  1. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General
  2. Click on the padlock icon and enter your admin user password
  3. Check the box to approve the developer and allow the extension to load
  4. There will be a pause while the extensions cache is rebuilt

ON M1 MACS
  1. If prompted after approving the developer (see the preceding), completely power down and wait at least 10 seconds
  2. Press and hold the power key until the prompt on the screen reads "Startup Options Loading"
  3. When prompted select an administrative user and enter that user's password
  4. If the Volume Security app does not appear open it from the Apple Menu
  5. Select the boot volume you are installing the kext on
  6. Set the option to permit third party extensions
  7. Select startup options from the menu bar
  8. Select your boot volume
  9. click Continue and the system should reboot and theoretically the extension will load

NOTES:
  • There are ongoing issues with a precious few kernel extensions that M1 Macs refuse to load and must be corrected by the extension developer. Contact the app developer, not Apple.
  • On M1 Macs the volume security only has to be set once.
  • On M1 Macs the Security Setting is for a single boot volume and each boot volume must be set individually. (I will be curious to see how that applies to clones, if and when Apple gets the ASR app fixed for M1 Macs.)
  • Once the extension loads it may be necessary to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and enable various services for the app.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney