Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks Mac, nice common sense ideas... thanks Joe as always too!

Only other concern Mac: Security updates.... So use laptop for internet, you think that 1 million someone happening there? As long as don't access sensitive sites like banks etc?

These days, it's just about impossible to purchase something from an on-line retailer without using a credit card. Also, it is always imperative to make a concerted effort to check on your accounts you have at banks. If you don't do any shopping (and thus avoid using a credit card), and yes also avoid banking sites (makes it difficult to check on your accounts), you "should" be safe. But I much prefer to have the latest security features there, and hence always using the latest version of the Mac OS, and the latest version of each application I have (I use third party applications exclusively).

But I just had a very recent incident happen, even though I do have all the latest security updates. On Sunday evening, I was basically "bombarded" with a number of bogus/fraudulent transactions. They all came via Walmart.com, and most of them were associated with a credit card I had not used in over 3 months. And one of them was with a credit card I had canceled (was also due to another prior fraudulent transaction, and the credit card was replaced). Fortunately, I was able to get all of those transactions rejected/disposed of.

So, while I make every effort regarding security with my software and internet activities, issues can still happen. I am very, very diligent about frequently checking all my accounts/credit cards, and if I notice anything suspicious, I jump on it immediately.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 02/06/21 06:31 AM.